Whats Non Violence Resistance (NVR)?
This approach uses ideas and methods of non-violent direct action and resistance developed by Gandhi, Martin Luther King and others, which have been adapted for use in family and community settings to help parents and carers with parenting.
The main principles of NVR are:
- Taking a firm stand against violence, risk-taking and anti-social behaviours.
- Holding back from physical or verbal violence.
- Increasing your positive presence in your child’s life.
In line with these three principles you will learn how to:
- De-escalate conflicts with your child;
- Stand your ground with your child.
- Take a firm stand against any acts of violence done by yourself or your child or
- Recruit and utilize a network of supporters who will help you work through these tough situations.
- Break the cycle of shame and silence.
- Rebuild your presence in your child’s life.
- Create and use reconciliation gestures with your child designed to show you love your child and want to rebuild the relationship.
- Deal with a situation if your child runs away from home.
These ideas and suggestions are guidelines and will be explained to you in more detail in a face to face consultation with Swift counsellors.
Helping parents with violent and destructive children
Do you notice how some arguments get out of control: your child raises their voice, you raise your voice, your child shouts, you shout, your child shouts louder, you shout louder? The argument can end in violence on both sides…
- Family & Couple Therapy
- Individual Counselling
Our approach to therapy
- Systemic Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- SFBT (Solution Focussed Brief Therapy)
- Appreciative Inquiry
- Case Examples
- Non Violence Resistance
Following a car accident, I suffered terribly with a fight or flight response when driving. I did not know what this anxiety was and tried for months to recover on my own. After a particularly severe anxiety attack, I realised that I needed to get help. EMDR therapy was incredibly effective. My anxiety was linked specifically to the accident and in one session the anxiety was dispersed. I literally walked out of Swift Counselling, got in my car and drove with no anxiety from that moment on. I am thrilled with the results, thank you.